by Nancy Ahrens, September, 2007
Subject: Nomenclature & Movement
Title: Preparing the Cruets
Age: 3+, when a child can pour with
Liturgical Time: Any
Doctrinal Points: None
- To introduce and name the cruets, wine and water and to show them how they are prepared for
- Control of movement.
- Greater Participation in Liturgy (GPL).
- Preparation for prayer through controlled movement.
- Preparation for Preparation of the chalice
- To foster a vocation to altar service.
Description of Materials:
- Low shelf and a working area with an empty space underneath or adjacent for wine & water.
- An adjacent space to hold a crock for used wine & water.
- Small set of real-sized glass cruets with caps one with a red dot to indicate the fill line;
the other a blue dot.
- Tray or shallow dish to hold the cruets.
- Glass pitcher or decanter with a red dot for the wine.
- Glass pitcher with a blue dot for the water.
- Small funnel.
- Small sponge for catching drips.
- Small tray to hold the funnel and sponge.
- Bottle of red wine (inexpensive dark burgundy)
- Attractive crock or pottery type receptacle for emptying cruets.
- 3 mats for the cruets, crock and wine bottle.
- I’ve noticed you’ve been very careful with your pouring. Every mass
the cruets are brought to the altar.
- These are the cruets. One holds wine, one holds water.
- This is how they are prepared for Mass.
- Take cover off the cruet. Pick up the wine bottle say “This is our wine, you can even
smell it” and then place the wine bottle down on the table.
- Place the funnel in the wine cruet. Say “I’m going to pour the wine, when it
reaches the ret dot say stop.”
- Pour wine into funnel until the red dot and use the sponge to wipe off the drip from the
- Take the funnel and wipe off the drip with a sponge.
- Cover the wine cruet and place the wine cruet on the tray and say “The
wine cruet is now prepared.”
- Now say, “Would you like to prepare the water cruet?”
- Sit aside while the child prepares the water cruet, repeating the above process.
- Say, “Now the cruets are prepared.”
- “Now let me show you what to do when the cruets are prepared.”
- Take the wine cruet and empty the wine into the bucket and sponge off the drip and put back
on tray. Ask, “Would you like to empty the water?
- Child pours the water into the bucket and sponge off the drip. Place cruet back on the tray.
- Place cruet forward.
- Take cover off from cruet.
- Place funnel on.
- Bring wine bottle up from the floor with hand on
the wine bottle.
- Twist cover off.
- Put cap on table.
- Pick up wine bottle with one hand while the other hand is supporting the wine bottle.
- Pour wine (without bottle touching funnel and centered) in the middle of funnel until reaching
the red dot.
- Place wine bottle down. Wipe drip off the wine bottle.
- Cover wine bottle.
- Put wine bottle down on wine tray.
- Pick up funnel.
- Wipe funnel.
- Place funnel on tray.
- Cover cruet.
- Place cruet on tray.
- Invite child to do the water cruet. Ask them, “Would you like to do it
- Repeating the exercise.
CGS Level 1 Catechist Training